VE Day 2020: How To Throw a Virtual Party
To mark 75 years since VE Day, we have a few ideas of how you can celebrate at home with a virtual party. Read on to find out about our afternoon tea with a twist.
VE Day 2020: How you can celebrate the 75th anniversary of VE Day from home!
Honouring the 75th anniversary, this year VE Day 2020 takes place in the UK on Friday 8th May.
Traditionally, street parties were part of the huge events planned planned to mark VE Day across the country.
This year, while we may not be able to have street parties, we can hold celebrations at home!
What does VE Day stand for?
VE Day, which stands for Victory in Europe Day, was the day on which allied forces announced the surrender of Germany in Europe on May 8th, 1945.
Why do we celebrate VE Day?
VE Day marked the end of WWII – and in turn, the end of Adolf Hitler’s reign. As such, it was a cause for celebration all over the world. At 3pm that day, Prime Minister Winston Churchill told the nation that the war was over.
To mark the 75 years since that day, we’ve thought of a few ways you and your family can celebrate:
- Why not print make your own bunting, flags and cake toppers?
- Host a special VE Day celebration picnic at home or children’s afternoon tea. If the weather isn’t kind, you could always host indoors
- Whip up some VE Day-inspired treats like a classic Victoria sponge or some delicious strawberries and cream
- Drinks? - What better time to put together everyone’s favourite summer drink – the perfect summer Pimm’s!
Due to current circumstances, we are all getting used to virtual events, so one way you could celebrate with your loved ones is by creating a virtual party, including afternoon tea with a twist!
Here’s how to set up:
1) Test your Wi-Fi and microphones so they don’t stop your conversations flowing
2) Make sure you’re all dress to impress, you are on camera now!
3) If you are outside then the lighting should be fine, but if you decide to host your Virtual VE Day afternoon tea indoors, then make sure the lighting is right and you have a nice background for your guests to look at
4) Once you have set up your afternoon tea, simply call your friends and family using FaceTime, Zoom or any platform you find works
It’s a good idea to do this from a laptop so you can rest it on the table whist you enjoy some cake! If you are calling from your phone, see if you can find a good spot for it to lean so you can dig into some delicious treats!
However you choose to celebrate VE Day 2020, we hope you enjoy it and most importantly, stay safe.